This was another really good gig and I’m really pleased with how the event ran and how it looked and sounded. I was asked again by the Schools Music Department if I wouldn’t mind coming back and providing all the technical aspects of the event.
This year we focused in improving both the Audio and Lighting and in Audios case added a full EV system and added in some new EV SX80’s as front fills that I think worked really well and just gave some extra clarity to the people in the front few rows in the middle. With lighting as-well-as using the schools in-house lighting rig we added a floor package on the stage of some Martin MH5 Rush Profiles and some LED bars arranged in a pattern at the back behind the drummer that looked pretty cool. We also added two Crank Tripod Stands further back with some Chauvet R1 washes and some more Martin MH5 Rush Profiles. This made a huge difference to the previous years.
With Audio I had my Behringer X32 at FOH controlling all the sound with an S16 and SD8 at the front grabbing all the inputs and outputs. I had the S16 at the back of the stage for all the band and RF and had the SD8 at the front of the stage for all the inputs and outputs at the front of the stage. All 4 of the vocal mics at the front of the stage were wireless Sennheiser G3’s EW300 with e835 capsules on so they all sounded exactly the same that was good. I also had 2 more channels of RF for the two compares wireless Lav mics with backline, I had 5 microphones on the drums (Kick, Snare, Hats and two toms) and then had 1 DI box each side of the drums and 1 amplifier mic either side of the drums so because there wasn’t much rehearsal time and stagehands the guitarist was happy to just move the microphone to a pre-determined marked out spot that I had put on each amplifier that worked great with the many different acts. There were also 2 keyboards that I put on a DI box each. All the audio worked really well and I was very pleased with the result.
With Video I had put up 2 screens either side of the stage like last year these were fed from the ATEM switcher at the back VIA SDI and HDMI converters. We had a bit of trouble with one of the screens since somehow the base of the mount had got broken in transit and therefore we had no way to mount the screen. Luckily we found this out before midday and had time to go to the unit and grab some wood in our lunch break to make another base so we could have the screens. During the event, the screens displayed live cameras with lower third titles and then the holding slide. I had one of the students from the school who was interested in all the technical side of things run this switcher under control of the lighting designer Elliott who was directing the camera operators and the student on the switch, This was great and we had some really artistic camera work going on! There was also some projection at the back for some of the acts since the concert was themed with musicals they wanted some of the musical trailers video playing in the background. This was being played via a Mac Pro with Qlab that I was controlling over the network Via OSC.
Overall this was a great event and all the people involved worked really well with each other.